Professional Singer (Soprano)
Veronique left her native island of Maurtitius in 1990 to study in the U.K under the coaching of Winifred Ramsay.
Back in her native island in 1999, Véronique Zuël-Bungaroo pursued her musical career with the help of Jean Bernard Thomas, a French-Mauritian vocal coach and performed as soloist in various pieces.
- Thanks to a scholarship from the Countess of Munster Trust Fund, she underwent operatic training with the British Youth Opera.
- Veronique performed professionally in the productions of the European Chamber Opera at the Holland Park Festival, Sadler’s wells theatre and in tours across England. She distinguished herself in particular for playing the roles of Maria in West Side Story, The Countess and Suzanna in Le Nozze di Figaro, Tatyana in Eugene Onegin, Gilda in Rigoletto, Norina in Don Pasquale, Resi in Valses de Vienne, Adele in Die Fledermaus, Micaela in Carmen and Mimi in La Bohème.
- From 1999 back on Mauritius, Veronique performed as soloist in Fauré’s Requiem in D Minor (with the Choral Singers and the Cape Town University choir), Vivaldi’s Gloria in D Major (with the Choral Singers), Pergolesi’s Stabat Mater, Bach’s Magnificat and the Te Deum by Charpentier (with the Conservatoire François Mitterand), amongst others.
In 2005, the Archets de Paris, a chamber music group, (including soloist from the Paris Opera), chose Véronique Zuël-Bungaroo for the creation of the works of Chevalier de St George during the tour of Mauritius and Reunion island. The Archets de Paris invited her for three concerts at the Sainte Chapelle in Paris in May 2006. The program consisted of the Exultate Jubilate K 165 from Mozart and arias from the opera Le Nègre des Lumières G216 by Chevalier de St George, in the Mozart-St George Festival. She played Mi in The Land of Smiles of Franz Lehar in 2007, produced by Lyric Armor in Mauritius, and performed the part again in December 2007 in Dinard (France).
In the last five years, Véronique Zuël-Bungaroo has sung with Opera Mauritius, playing the role of :
- Leila in Pecheurs de Perles (2009) (conducted by Martin Wettges)
- Micaela in Carmen (2010) (conducted by Martin Wettges)
- Violetta in La Traviata (2012) (conducted by Martin Wettges)
- Dido in Dido and Aeneas (2013) (conducted by Gregor Mayrhofer)
- Nuits d’ete of H Berlioz (2012) (conducted by Brad Cohen)
- Soul of the World at Citadel Port Louis (2011) (directed by Michael Cohen)
- The 45th Anniversary of the Independence of Mauritius on the 12/03/2013
- The FIFA Congress Opening Ceremony May 2013
- Bidvest Corporate Event at Sandton Centre Johannesburg August 2013
- Solo recital at Malvern Town Hall Melbourne August 2014
- Solo recital Mauritius February 2015
Other artistic Work
- Véronique Zuël-Bungaroo also performed regularly in different events with Omada, Move for Art and Impact production for the openings of a few Hotels such as The Hilton, Anahita, The Sofitel and the St Regis Resorts.
- With Art Academy, she started creating a new artistic style; a new challenge for her at composing and singing in the native creole language of the island which led her to sing in The Festival Creole, Ebony (2007) and Metisse (2008). With the same Academy, in 2010, she performed in Katha’zz during a Classical Dancing festival in New Delhi, India. Veronique is solicited for lyrical concerts on a regular basis in Mauritius, Reunion Island and recently in Australia.
Aristée or Pluton (the God of the Underworld Hades)
Singer (Tenor) and vocal coach and Self-Employed IT Consultant
Jean-Michel is at home in the world of Heavy Metal as well as in that of classical music.
Past President and ex-member of Magoakan Choir.
- started in rock bands
- choir member of Conservatoire François Mitterrand, Mauritius
- since 2009 member of Opera Mauritius Choir
- since 2009 student of Katrin Caine (voice)
- Masterclasses with Rita Hirner-Lill (2010/11)
- Masterclass with Jean-Bernard Thomas (2012)
- since 2013 member of Cantiamo! Chamber Choir
- Soloist for a Christmas concert with the “Choral singers”
- 2007 choir member in “Land of Smiles” by Lehar
- 2007 Bel Canto concert at the Plaza Theatre, Rose-Hill, accompanied by the American pianist Jean Bernard Marie
- 2009 choir member in “Pearlfishers” by Bizet
- 2010 Le Dancaire in “Carmen” by Bizet
- 2011 Sam in the Musical “Mamma mia”
- 2012 Gastone in “La Traviata” by Verdi performed in Mauritius and Reunion
- 2012 Phantom in a shortened version of “Phantom of the Opera” performed at the ruins of Balaclava for the New Year’s banquet of Maritim Hotel
- 2013 leading role of Aeneas in “Dido and Aeneas” by Purcell
- 2013 double role of John the Baptist/ Judas in the musical “Godspell”
- 2014 Tour in Mauritius & South Africa with the 4REASONS Quartet (~15 Live Concerts)
- 2014 Concert at British High Commission for the visit of Archbishop of Canterbury with 4REASONS
- 2014 Friends of Opera Live Concert “Operettes” at Mahatma Gandhi Institute, MU
- 2014 Live solo performance for the Biennial General Meeting of the East Asia Pacific Regional Council of Cheshire Homes and for the 50th Anniversary of Selangor Cheshire Home accompanied by Malaysian Pianist Fairuz Zamani at The Federal Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 2015 double role of Pluton/Aristée in “Orphée aux Enfers” by Offenbach, Recital Voice/Piano in Malaysia and Mauritius, etc…